- This event has passed.
Wild Rivers Adventure: Cold Weather Camping
April 2 @ 3:00 pm - April 3 @ 10:00 am$75
Calling all campers who have dreamed of Cold Weather tenting!
Now is your chance to take your skills to the next level and become more comfortable with cold weather nights outdoors. Experience a new side to camping, one without bugs or crowds. Together we will build upon your existing camping skills with a short overnight to shake down your gear and systems and gain confidence in nontraditional camping on your own. We will provide dinner, breakfast, and the support of a fun community of outdoor loving people. Along with your gear, you can bring your favorite campfire story.
This overnight will be guided by Naturalist Jeremiah, but is not ideal for those new to camping in any season. We recommend having general camping experience prior to this event. The campsite is part of a drive-in state park designated camping area and has bathrooms.
*Prior camping experience (any season) preferred. Must be 18+ years of age unless accompanied by a guardian.
*Dive deeper into winter camping preparation with this REI article.
*Don’t have all the gear? We suggest REI gear rentals to try before you buy.
Suggested Equipment List:
- Winter clothes
- Insulated jacket (waterproof shell to go over is a great extra)
- hand/ feet warmers
- Winter socks x2 (wool
- Warm winter boots (waterproof is best)
- Base layer x2 for dry PJs (aka long underwear, quick-drying, moisture-wicking)
- Mid-layers ( fleece, vest, light puffy jacket)
- Winter hat (that covers ears)
Cotton should be avoided in cold temperatures (absorbs moisture, loses its insulating qualities, won’t dry quickly) Nylon, polyester, and merino wool are better choices.
- Water bottle (sealable, reusable bottles like Nalgene and Hydroflask can double as sleeping bag warmers when filled with hot water)
- Extra dry clothes
- Sleeping bag (10, 0, or -10 degree recommended, bag liner works too. Synthetic fill is better than down in the case it gets wet)
- Sleeping pad(s) (some choose to pair an air pad with a foam pad for addl. insulation)
- 3-season tent (2-person for one person, 3-person for two, etc.)
- Tent footprint
- Sit pad (optional)
- Binoculars (optional)
For the safety of participants and staff, this program may be canceled due to inclement weather or a temperature of 0 degrees or below. Participants will be notified via email and event pages will be updated if the program is canceled.