Let's celebrate the tremendous efforts of stewards of the St. Croix and Namekagon River watersheds! Awards will be presented at Open Water: A Conservancy Celebration at the Lake Elmo Inn on April 21, 2023.
Nominations due March 1, 2023
Watershed Steward Award
Nominees can be individuals, organizations, businesses, or communities that have significantly contributed to the preservation or improvement of the St. Croix River watershed. These are awards for “above and beyond the call of duty” actions. For example, if a nominee is employed in the field of conservation, the award is based not on the duties of a paid position, but rather on extraordinary contributions that go beyond their job description.
Examples of past efforts recognized under this award include persons/ organizations/ groups who have:
- Improved water quality,
- Raised public awareness about a specific issue or threat to the watershed,
- Successfully promoted good public policy,
- Protected a resource via a land trust or a wetland restoration,
- and curtailed specific threats.
- Winning cities have enacted zoning ordinances that preserved community character or have fostered development that expresses good river stewardship.
Every Kid in the Croix Award
Wild Rivers Conservancy's “Every Kid in the Croix” award celebrates schools that are committed to making environmental education a priority for their students and strives to send as many students as possible through the “Rivers Are Alive” K-12 environmental education program. This award is for schools of all sizes, rural and urban, that prioritize inspiring their students to be stewards of our world-class natural resources.
Examples of efforts that will be recognized under this award include the following:
- A teacher and their school can be nominated for organizing a first time field trip to the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway for one or more grade levels.
- Students and their school can be nominated for taking their Rivers Are Alive experience to the next level and sharing their enthusiasm for the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway with an innovative project that raises awareness at their school or in their community for the Riverway.
- An educator/s and their school can be nominated for integrating Rivers Are Alive into their classroom and field trip plans throughout the school year.